A short history of SV Companion -
In April of 2005, Kim and I signed an agreement to purchase a Leopard Catamaran and place it in the Moorings Charter Program for 5 years.

Buying the last 40' Catamaran built in 2005 by Robinson and Caine of South Africa, the boat was to be chartered in Placencia, Belize. It arrived in Belize in late November, and was used by Moorings Chartering until June of 2010. During that time, we were able to sail our boat many times, and have a few charters in other parts of the world; LaPaz Mexico, Abaco Bahama, British Virgin Islands, Nice France, Gocek Turkey (Turquoise Coast).

Max , our nephew and his dad, Mike will be joining, Kim and I for part of the voyage. We are also looking forward to meeting family and friends along the way.

Our blog is intended to share our journey, memories and information to sailors.

Enjoy, Dale & Kim

PS: 10 years after the start of our voyage, we are living in LaConner with SV Companion and the adventure continues.











Monday, November 15, 2010

Update ... from the wife

Nov 6 - Captain Dale, Captain Mike and Max started their voyage - sailing from Guatemala to the Isle of Roatan was little over 30 hours - they had some “wave” action and were tired when they arrived - but happy to have “officially” started.  The guys rested for a couple of days - provisioned and on Nov 13 headed toward Jamaica, knowing that it might take 7 days or so.  I just got a “text” this afternoon and they are over half way there and doing great … especially since Max got his first big “catch” - a 30 +lb Wahoo - so a great dinner and “meat” in the freezer.  That makes all the “crew” content!

Capt. Mike is in “charge” of keeping the "wives" updated - so we have gotten a few texts via satellite phone - just knowing that they are safe makes "happy wives!"  Glori and I are enjoying sharing this adventure together.

Mike reported that the winds are favorable for good sailing and I can only imagine that Dale is enjoying that - speculating that the motor is not running constantly and they are conserving diesel.  Plus the lack of motor noise is pleasant.

As far as what I have been up to - November 3 - I stayed in a cute little hotel in San Pedro Sula - being the only non Spanish speaking person there - (I have vowed to learn the language - got a beginning Spanish tape!) I just “holed” up in my room, went to the airport early and caught the first flight to Dallas - Paula was waiting for me!!!  Enjoyed a few days in Shreveport, regrouped and headed up to the northwest - staying with Glori  - my heart was yearning to see “our girls” - found a last minute “deal” to LA - called Em at 6 am on Thursday to see if she wanted to go surprise Danylle on Friday morning - Andy was “in” on the surprise - I got such a kick seeing Danylle’s expression as she walked into their “place”, and there we were….I love being the “surpriser!”  We had a great 32 hours in LA - back to Seattle - up to Anacortes to retrieve my car,  back to Seattle and 30 hours later relaxing in Bainbridge with Laura and Brian. 

Dale is planning on “calling” me tomorrow - a short conversation which will be okay - just gives us confirmation that all is well.

I am really proud of Dale as he planned, organized and worked really hard for the last 6 months preparing himself as well as Companion for this voyage.  When I left him on November 3 he was calm, anxious yet peaceful - did my heart good to see him in his element and fulfilling his dream!!

Life is really good.
k

No comments:

Post a Comment