A short history of SV Companion -
In April of 2005, Kim and I signed an agreement to purchase a Leopard Catamaran and place it in the Moorings Charter Program for 5 years.

Buying the last 40' Catamaran built in 2005 by Robinson and Caine of South Africa, the boat was to be chartered in Placencia, Belize. It arrived in Belize in late November, and was used by Moorings Chartering until June of 2010. During that time, we were able to sail our boat many times, and have a few charters in other parts of the world; LaPaz Mexico, Abaco Bahama, British Virgin Islands, Nice France, Gocek Turkey (Turquoise Coast).

Max , our nephew and his dad, Mike will be joining, Kim and I for part of the voyage. We are also looking forward to meeting family and friends along the way.

Our blog is intended to share our journey, memories and information to sailors.

Enjoy, Dale & Kim

PS: 10 years after the start of our voyage, we are living in LaConner with SV Companion and the adventure continues.











Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SV Companion is changing Oct.12, 2010

As Hurricane Paula heads to the north, we were supposed to get some rain, but woke to blue skies, and heat, today up to 98. We went into town to get some final supplies for the salt water system, try to get a key copied, and on the hunt for a fan for the outside cockpit. So 2 ½ hours of hunting and brunch at Bruno’s, I got breakfast (2 eggs, hashbrown, toast, and fruit) and Kim chicken wings and a bowl of House Fries that could of feed 4 (she didn’t finish them all) with 2 bottles of aqua for $12.
So Companion is getting in shape. We have a clock/barometer mounted just inside door, Radar on mast which appears on chartplotter (wind instruments still not talking to chartplotter), depth, autopilot talking to chartplotter,and so is new AIS VHF radio, with a remote radio at helm. Found the USB connection for radio, so Kim is happy with Jazz from Mike, Danylle’s audio library, and oldies from Tom and LeeAnn on the iTouch.  Kim and I have pulled lots of wires; we have inverter to make AC from DC that has a separate remote at electrical panel, cables pulled and ready for solar and wind energy after they are mounted. Salt water system is in and working, with water from bathroom seacock (why do so many sailing terms have cock in them), to on-demand pump to washdown near anchor (still need to attach the 25 ft of hose and nozzle, we bought today), and faucet at sink, and second washdown (again 25’ of hose) in cockpit lazerette. Much of the sea water system was designed and executed by Ben (Dutch friend), but final hook-up by Dale. In afternoon, we escaped the heat at the pool next door. We  feel obligated to buy a drink so a margarita and daiquiri (Kim does a different drink each time we go).
New Control Panel

I was extremely concerned that I would be overwhelmed by the refit of Companion, but slowly  I am feeling more confident and I really am getting to know every part of this vessel. Kim is still thinking about where she wants all the stuff and tools and equipment still waiting to be part of the refit are driving her a little crazy. Well, the sun is setting, and a cool breeze is hitting my face as I compose this posting on the front trampoline with a Victoria (beer) in hand. Another good day, well I need to go and lock the engine and dinghy, and bring in the hose.  We hope to have refit pictures soon.


One more item - the spinnaker is ready to go... hoisted up the sock - all we need are the winds!!

Dale

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly contain my excitement for your sailing adventure! Thanks for the updates. I have plans drawn up for your bosun's chair. I have the materials too. I'm hoping I can send it down with Em in December. Do you still want it? I want to know if you want a wooden platform for the seat or if you want more of a harness. I have designed one that has a padded wood seat with webbing, D rings, and a belt to clip yourself in.

    Hey, on another note - do you need any extra crew from St. Croix to La Paz Mexico? Rose gets out of school on the 17th of march and I... well I'd quit me job to sail through the Panama canal to mexico. Let us know if you need any deck hands!

    ReplyDelete